Keto Guide17 April 2020 2020-06-11 16:43
Keto Test Strips: Frequently Asked Questions
Why use blood testing?
A ketosis blood test is more accurate at measuring ketones in the body than breath or urine testing. Depending on your levels of hydration, urine can dilute the amount of ketones in the reading, giving you a less-than-perfect ketones test reading
Is the ketosis diet dangerous?
When done correctly, the ketosis diet is not dangerous and is a great way to lose weight.
When and how often should you check your ketone levels with our test strips?
When testing your blood ketone levels you’ll want to test in the afternoons to early evenings. Ketone levels tend to be lowest in the morning and rise throughout the day. Your highest level will be in the afternoon. Regardless of when you test your blood ketones it is improtant to test at the same time each day. Since ketone levels go up and down throughout the day based on normal biological rhythms you’ll want to be sure you are comparing under similar conditions.
How do keto test strips work?
Use a keto test strip the same way you would test your blood sugar levels- prick your finger, squeeze a drop of blood out, and use the keto-mojo meter to test your blood.
Can I reuse ketone strips?
No, you cannot reuse your ketone strips.
What ketones test reading should I be looking for?
A 0.5 mmol to 1.5 mmol ketogenic strip reading is considered “mild ketosis.”
Deep ketosis, which is best for weight loss, is between 1.5 mmol and 3.0mmol/L
A reading over 6.0 mmol/L indicates the beginning of a dangerous state known as ketoacidosis. While it’s almost impossible to get to reach this state on a standard ketogenic diet alone, type 1 diabetics can sometimes notice this when their insulin levels are extremely low. This would require medical attention and should be treated immediately.
Benefits of Ketosis
- Weight loss potential – Adult obesity rates are highest in the United States, Mexico, New Zealand and Hungary. One just needs to efficiently manage their ketosis levels using ketone test strips regularly.
- Suppresses a key hunger hormone – The hormone Ghrelin prevents the body from feeling full. The ketogenic diet reduces ghrelin levels, which is how the ketogenic diet mimics a starvation state, without typical hunger pains.
- Controls glucose – A study involving overweight adults with type 2 diabetes revealed that the ketogenic diet is an effective weight loss technique and effective in controlling glucose levels.
- Cancer Patients- The ketogenic diet has shown to aid cancer patients by depleting cancer cells of the glucose they need to flourish.
- Improves memory and reduces midlife mortality – In the journal Cell Metabolism, researchers fed mice a ketogenic diet every other week. The results suggested a prevention of memory decline and decreased obesity.
- Reduces free radical production – Research suggests that maintaining a ketogenic diet reduces the brain’s free radical levels. When free radicals exceed acceptable levels, they create ‘oxidative stress.’ The resulting process has the potential to modify cell membranes, lipids and proteins, among others.
Utilizing a ketones test is the only way to know for sure if you are in a ketosis state. Our ketone test strips give a quick and accurate reading of your blood, making this keto test the best tool for your ketosis journey.